This is our eighth expanded post from our article on top 10 learnings about the hyperlocal digital publisher market over the past year. Our first seven learnings were:
- Local Search Is A Differentiator On Hyperlocal Sites.
- Make Sure Your Side Door Looks As Good As Your Front Door.
- Don’t Be Seduced by the Quick Wins of Social Media
- The World is Mobile
- The Power of Backlinks
- Leverage Cornerstone Content
- Very Small Businesses Just Want Leads
Our eighth learning has to do with the confusion around Local SEO Marketing. It’s important because the local businesses in your community have limited money (and time), and SEO is critical for them, but complicated. It’s highly likely they are hearing confusing or misleading information about SEO, as well as FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) that may make them pay for things they don’t need. This is an opportunity for you to differentiate yourself and offer real value to local businesses around SEO..
Confusion by local businesses should be expected. They are pitched so many “foolproof” ways to win at online marketing, as well as confusing techno-jargon that they don’t understand and simply intimidates them.
With that said, don’t be confused by thinking that advertising is an easier or better sell. The problems with advertising are many:
- Everybody sells advertising, so you have a ton of competition
- Most publishers don’t know how effective their ads are, which means their business customers don’t either. As long as they don’t ask about effectiveness all is good, but how often do you buy and use a product that you can’t measure the value?
- Digital advertising is highly ineffective on mobile, where more of your readers are going
It’s time that local publishers fully understand the value (and pitfalls) of Local SEO Marketing. Think about the value you can truly offer local businesses, strive to help them understand the real semantics of good local digital marketing. It’s also something very few others can do, so it puts you in a much less competitive field.
One of the things Bizyhood spends a lot of time discussing with our publishing partners is Local SEO Marketing. Part of our benefit is that we are automating many of the tactics that you and your local customers should be doing to assist with Local SEO. Our goal is to both (a) train you, and (b) have the platform do a lot of the heavy lifting for you, so this isn’t as daunting as it may seem. Most importantly, we allow you to offer something that actually works for your local business owners, with easy to understand metrics and measurements.