What We’re Up To
Small businesses represent a massive contribution to our national economy, and individually they often serve as pillars of their communities. We have found that these small businesses are massively under-represented on the internet and are constantly bombarded by internet companies looking for their advertising dollars. The thing is, what these small businesses are really looking for are leads and passive advertisement doesn’t really do the trick on their scale.
Right now we’re working on giving businesses simple, easy tools to generate the thing they need most, leads. Their customers are looking for them in a variety of channels so we make sure they’re represented in those channels but focused specifically on the areas they serve.
As one of our first hires, you will be required to possess a unique set of skills and characteristics to serve our mission to cultivate our local communities.
- Doing the same thing over; you hate it.
The thought of repeating something manually that can be handled by the machines compels you to automate the task. Anything else would be insane.
- You’re a titan.
What you do lays the foundation for reliable software. You know this and this is part of what gives you satisfaction.
- Product development and design matters to you.
Like everyone else on the product team, understanding what you’re a part of, what you’re building is essential to doing your job well. You want to participate in the design of the product and there’s a good chance you’ll get to know the whole of the product better than most.
You can demonstrate proficiency in:
- Computer science fundamentals. Why? Because they’re the fundamentals.
- Any one (or more) of the contemporary OO languages, Python, Java, Scala, C++, etc. We’re a Python/Django shop for now, but we love the JVM too. As long as you can effectively pick up whatever tools we need for the job. Except PHP and Ruby. We’re just not going to do it, okay?
- Linux. Just know it, it’ll be easier for everyone. (We use Ubuntu on EC2).
- AWS. You love it. It’s your second best friend. We’re all about cloud deployments, but we need your expertise in setting up a fully automated pipeline.
- Testing automation frameworks and tools. Jenkins and Selenium seem to be the standards, but if you’ve got better ideas, we’re going to listen.
- Configuration and deployment tools. Right now we’re looking at Ansible.
To apply for this role, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.